Sunday, January 15, 2006

Comparison of Good & Bad Teaching Experiences

Best teaching experience -
I've had so many, but I'll just choose one. I worked at St. Andrew’s Priory where I taught SS and English to 6th graders. I started off the year with giving them roles, rules and procedures. But I gave them some “fire” about their leadership within the school. Students loves doing projects and presented with such knowledge on the subject. They encouraged each other and resolved their own conflicts. I had the freedom build my own curriculum and model best practices to other teachers. I create innovative tools to help other students and teachers; curriculum maps, student portfolios, project based examples, class council strategies and procedures...

My worst teaching experience ever!
KCS where I had 7th grade students. I hated it there because I was unsupported by the principal, by her chosen few teachers, and by one particular parent who had a political agenda. Since the principal was planning a retirement soon, there were a few of her teachers who would spill anything you said to them in confidence. One teacher used me to get “Asst. Principal” title because she "found" me to replace a teacher who quit after a month of school. One parent and family was mentally abusive. Mom invited me to their home and uncomfortably “coddled” me; then days later verbal attacked me in front of my principal; and the principal said nothing during the incident. I found out by an email the parent was using me to expose the school, and used the verbal attack to gain a PTA position that same day. One student I had was physically abusive to two other students. When I reported his behavior to the principal, I was chastised for having no classroom management. Mind you, she never visited my classroom! The reality was there were no consequences for suspendable behaviors because it had previously been handled "under the carpet". Eventually, I had to call the police, although was written up by the principal for calling them. Later that year, two students were so traumatized, they tried to commit suicide. These are just a few examples of the autrocities at this school. It was a spiritually and emotionally draining year. Needless to say, I left at the end of the year.

No comments: